“Allaahuakbar, Allaahuakbar, Allaahuakbar, laa illaa haillallahuwaallaahuakbar. Allaahu akbar walillaahil hamd”.
Happy Eid Al-Adha Mubarak, GPI Friends!
Hi, GPI Friends. The echo of Eid al-Adha has amplified. Sacrificial animals are ready to be slaughtered. Now, while listening to the takbir that reverberates, it is good if you know in advance how to process and store meat, especially mutton. Indeed, it is in order for the meat to be durable and not wasted for free. Let us find out information about beef and mutton.
Per 100 grams of mutton contains energy of 154 kcal, protein of 16.6 grams, and fat of 9.2 grams. Nutritional content of mutton is smaller than beef which contains energy of 207 kcal, protein of 18.8 grams, and fat of 14 grams. The total cholesterol of lean mutton meat is 70 mg / 100 grams, slightly higher than lean beef, which is 60 mg / gram. However, the total fat cholesterol of goat meat is around 130/100 grams (LIPI 2009). Mutton contains a source of protein, vitamin B complex, and also minerals, such as iron, phosphorus, calcium, and potassium (Biyatmoko 2017).
You must have heard a lot of rumors stating that mutton is the cause of high blood pressure. Afid and Nurmasitoh’s study (2016) indicates that there are significant differences in the average blood pressure before and after consuming mutton, but still within normal limits. Take it easy, rumors circulating in the community that meat causes high blood pressure is not entirely correct. The main cause of high blood pressure is due to incorrect cooking techniques. Goat meat is safe to consume if we can process meat in the right way and not excessive in consuming it.
Dr. Ahmad, M.Sc.-HEPL in Sulaiman (2011) suggests that there are no certain limits in the consumption of goat meat which is served in plain form or not in watery ingredients. The recommended portion in consuming mutton is around 50-100 g per day). Limit if the menu is in form of curry or tongseng.
Meat had better be boiled or sautéed (prepared as soup). Avoid processing by frying, burning, or baking and adding coconut milk because it usually processes meat in such a way that will require more butter or oil which could eventually increase calories and fat.
Anyway, for some people it must be very lazy to process mutton? “You had better stay away from it”, that is what they might say.
Mutton has a tough texture and has a ghotty (prengus) smell. But, wait, in fact, it is really a loss if you do not give mutton a try at all. As mentioned before, mutton has high level of vitamins and minerals. So, it is a pity that the high content of vitamins and minerals is just ignored because of the laziness to process the meat?
The following are tips on processing meat, especially mutton:
1. Avoid washing fresh mutton, because the prengus smell will spread even more. In addition, washing meat will increase the spread of bacteria in the kitchen. The meat should be boiled directly without washing, then throw the first stew.
2. Cut meat vertically in the direction of meat fiber.
3. Parts of low-fat meats such as tenderloin, sirloin, and top sirloin can be used as choices for processing. If you have not been lucky to get the part, you can get rid of the fat found in mutton. The smell of prengus on mutton can also be caused by fat sticking to the meat. Slice of fat attached to meat.
4. A good cooking technique for cooking mutton is the simmering method, which is boiling over low heat, for a long time.
Some ways to get rid of the smell of prengus and squeezing mutton are by making use of the following traditional ingredients. However, the use of these ingredients must still be adjusted to the type of cuisine you want to consume, GPI Friends.
a. Papaya leaf
Papaya leaves contain the papain enzyme (one of the protease enzymes that can break down proteins into smaller molecules) (Akhdiat 2011, Budiyanto and Usmiyanti 2009). The meat is wrapped in papaya leaves about 30-60 minutes.
This scaly fruit contains the bromelain enzyme (proteinase enzyme) which is able to decompose meat fibers (Febrina 2012). Pineapple is shredded, then rub it to the meat, and let it stand ± 30 minutes before processing. The strong aroma of pineapple is also able to neutralize the aroma of prengus.
Kiwi contains actinidin which helps speed up the process of meat softening. Blend the kiwi into a paste, then rub it on the meat. Let it stand for ± 30 minutes, then wash it thoroughly. However, kiwi fruit is rarely used because the price of the fruit is very expensive.
Cucumber sap can eliminate the smell of the meat. Cut the cucumber in chopped forms, then put it on the meat and clean it and then wipe it with a towel (Republika 2011).
Lime juice can accelerate the process of softening the meat while eliminating the fishy smell on the meat. Spread the meat with the juice of lime juice and let it stand for ± 30 minutes.
Rubbing salt to meat can eliminate unpleasant odors. Sprinkle salt on the meat and let it stand for ± 1 hour. Wash the mutton again before processing.
g. Herbs and spices
Spice blend is one of the traditional tricks to eliminate the smell of prengus on the meat. Alloys of ginger, pepper, garlic, galangal, bay leaves, lemongrass, orange leaves can be used. Puree all of the spices, and spread the spices to mutton for 30-60 hours. It can also be done by soaking or boiling. The use of spices depends on the serving menu to be consumed.
Well, besides meat processing, meat storage must also be considered. The following are meat storage tips:
1. Do not wash the meat that will be stored, because this will accelerate the spread of bacteria in the meat. Meat washing can accelerate the proliferation of bacteria and speed up the spread of bacteria. Practically, this will shorten the shelf life of the meat.
2. If it has been washed, do not put it back in the refrigerator for the second time. The meat removed from the refrigerator is only the meat that will be processed.
3. Store meat in tight containers or airtight plastic.
4. Cut meat into small pieces and store in plastic or small containers. Separate meat per serving in the plastic such as 200 grams of meat/ plastic, so as to reduce contamination and facilitate you in taking meat stock.
5. Arrangement in the refrigerator should also be separated between several types of foodstuff.
*The original article is in Bahasa Indonesia by Andini Retno.
*Translated into English by Herdi, with permission from the author.